Thank God its Thursday !! You have almost cruised through the work week and are eagerly awaiting the weekend. If you are a working woman/man , or a young Mum, a student or live away from home… your day often starts by thinking ‘What could I cook for dinner tonite’.
You wonder what could you make that would be quick and easy but assuage your hunger and also make you lick your fingertips.
Do you have Prawns in the fridge/ freezer?? You do !! Thats great. Then let us make some Prawns Sukhe! (in a roasted coconut and a hint of tomato gravy base)
I promise to add some zing to your evening.
There are three elements to this dish are
- The Marination
- The Gravy base
- Cooking the Prawns
The Ingredients for the Marination are :
- Prawns- 20-25 in no
- Turmeric- 1 teaspoon
- Chilly Powder- 1.5 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice- 1 tablespoon
Mix the lemon juice with the rest of the dry ingredients. Now add the prawns to this marinade. Now there is no other way to do this…. ‘But to Get your hands dirty !’ and mix the prawns up in the marinade. Once thoroughly mixed cover with cling wrap and keep in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to rest.
Moving on to the Gravy Base. The Ingredients that you need are:
- 3 tablespoons of fresh finely grated coconut ( You can get this in the freezer aisle of any Indian Store in Melbourne)
- one large onion- roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of diced tomatoes from a can / one fresh chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon- coriander seeds
- 1-2 cloves
- 3/4th teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of water
Steps to make the Gravy Base
- Take a non-stick kadhai (wok), add the olive oil and keep it on a low-medium flame. Once the oil heats up add the grated coconut.
- Ensure you keep stirring it continuously which helps in even roasting of the coconut.
- About 5 mins later the coconut should start to turn yellowish and become fragrant. It is now the time to add the onions, the peppercorns, coriander seeds, clove , cinnamon and kasoori methi , sugar and salt.
- Mix well and keep stirring till the coconut turns reddish in colour and fragrant.
- Then add the diced tomato to this roasted mix.
Mix this well for about 2-3 minutes. The gravy base should now look like this.
- Now the last step in making the gravy base is to whip this in a blender to a thick paste. You can add a couple of tablespoons of water while blending. The gravy Base after blending should look like this.
Moving on to cooking the prawns. For this final step the ingredients you need would be :
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 1/2 roughly chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- In the same Kadhai (Wok), add the olive oil, keep it on medium flame. Once heated add the ginger and garlic paste and stir till the raw smell goes away.
- Then add the chopped onion and stir till they turn pinkish brown.
- Now add the marinated prawns and stir well. Cook on medium flame till prawns are nearly done.
- Then add the blended gravy base that we made to the nearly cooked prawns.
- Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it simmer on medium flame for about 5-7 mins. Check for salt.
- Prawn Sukhe is ready to be devoured with roti or rice.
The Vegetarian Version: Potato Sukhe
You can make a vegetarian version of this dish by adding boiled potato which can be marinated using the same marinade – instead of the prawns.
I would love to hear from you. Do drop me a line or two in the comments below. If you make Prawns Sukhe let me know how it turns out!
Have a fantastic Day !