Sometimes you associate a place you visit with what you ate there. One such place I visited many a time as a kid with my family was Lonavla. Lonavla is a hill-station about 100 km from Mumbai. It is famous for different types of Chikki. One of the most popular Chikki that Lonavla is famous for is Chocolate Walnut Fudge. It is soft, gooey and yum !!
The ingredients you need for the same are :
- 500 gms of fresh low fat ricotta or khoya
- 5 tablespoons of Nutella
- 5-6 tablespoons of Skim Milk Powder
- 2 tablespoon raw sugar (Optional as per taste)
- 100 gms of roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ghee/ butter
- Take a non-stick wok (kadhai). Add the ghee/butter and keep the flame on medium-low. Then add the chopped walnuts and keep stirring till roasted and fragrant.
- Then keep the roasted walnuts aside to cool.
- Now crumble the ricotta and add it to the same kadhai.
- Stir the ricotta till it gets a golden tinge. This should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next add nutella to the ricotta and mix well.
- Mix well for about 5 to 7 minutes . The mixture should look like this.
- Now add the roasted walnuts to this mixture.
- Keep stirring this mix till it starts leaving the sides of the kadhai.
- Add the skim milk powder to this mixture. This helps to give it some body and helps in thickening the mixture.
- You can taste the mixture at this stage to check for sweetness. You can add about 2 tablespoons of raw sugar at this point. I have not added any as the nutella that we have added gives it enough sweetness.
- Keep stirring for 7-10 mins till the mixture starts getting thick.
- The final mixture should look like this.
- Take a baking tray. Apply some ghee/ oil to the tray. Add the mixture to this tray while it is still hot.
- Flatten it to desired thickness. Let it cool for about 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Once it has cooled down, you can use a sharp knife and cut into squares.
- Your Lonavla’s Chocolate Walnut Fudge Chikki is now ready to be gobbled.
So this Diwali enjoy Lonavla’s Chocolate Walnut Fudge Chikki with your family without having to travel the distance, in your own home. It is easy to make , time saving and tastes super.
Do let me know if you make this at home. Do drop me a line or two in the comments below. Happy Diwali Preps to everyone !!