There are days when you crave something light, simple, home-cooked and something that will give you the satisfaction of ‘Ghar ka Khana’ (Home cooked food). On days like these I make this French Beans & Potato Sabji (Farasbi Batatyachi Bhaji).
The ingredients you need are:
- french beans – 300-350 gms chopped
- potatoes- 2 medium size cubed
- turmeric powder- 3/4th teaspoon
- green chillies- 2-3 slit vertically
- olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- cumin seeds- 3/4th teaspoon
- mustard seeds -3/4th teaspoon
- salt to taste
- sugar- 1/4th teaspoon (optional)
- lemon juice – 1.5 teaspoon
- fresh shredded coconut- 1 tablespoon
- pinch of asafoetida
- water – about 1/2 cup
- A deep pan that can be used as a lid to hold water.
The method of preparation:
- Take a non stick sauce pan or kadhai. Add the oil and keep the flame on low-medium. Once the oil heats up add the asafoetida and turmeric. Wait till the raw smell goes away, then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As they crackle add the green chillies.
- Then add the french beans and potatoes to the tempering.
- Now you need to use a deep lid / an old pan to hold water. This will create steam that will help the potato and beans cook in its own juices and this will let the chillies infuse flavour. This is what gives this dish its flavour.
- In about 10 minutes open the lid , mix the sabji well and add salt. Now keep the lid back on again.
- 10 more minutes and the sabji should be cooked. It is then time to add the sugar and lemon juice. Mix well. Lastly add the coconut. Mix well.
- Serve hot with chapattis or with dal and rice.
- You can adjust the green chillies according to your taste. You might have noticed I have not added any red chilli powder or any other spice blend /mix as the dish gets its flavour from green chillies.
- Coconut adds a texture and flavour to the dish. However you can serve the sabji without coconut as well.
Hope you have a Happy Sunday and a great week ahead. As always would love to hear from you. So do leave you feedback in the comments below.