Hot weather equals to easy and light dinners in our kitchen specially in the weekdays. The idea is the keep it flavourful and still make it a quick-fix meal. A few weeks back I came home from work and checked my pantry. I found a brown lentil can in there and voila I just knew I had to make these patties that were inspired by Middle eastern spices.
Here is my recipe for Middle-Eastern Style Lentil Patties.
Ingredients needed are:
- 1 brown lentil can- 400 gms/ 400 gms of pressure cooked and drained brown lentils.
- Red chilli powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Paprika- 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Powder -1.5 teaspoon
- Garlic Powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Fennel Powder- 2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder- a pinch
- Cinnamon powder- a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoon for the mixture and 4-5 tablespoons to Grill the patties.
- Potato flour/ Tapioca starch – 3 tablespoons for the mixture and 1 tablespoon to dust the patties.
- Cheese- Mozzarella grated (Optional) to stuff the patties
Method of Preparation:
- Drain the lentil cans and wash with water and keep it to drain for 10 minutes. If using dried brown lentils (whole masoor) soak for a few hours in water and then pressure cook. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Now add all the dry spice powders and salt and mix well. Then add the potato flour or tapioca starch and toss well. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and mix to form a coarse mixture.
- The mixture should look like this below.
- Make balls out of the mixture and flatten it with the palm of your hand.
- Then add a bit of cheese in the center, cover with the edges and roll into a ball. Then flatten it into patty shape. The cheese is optional and can be avoided. Cheese will melt while grilling and give the patties a gooey center.
- Once all the patties are shaped and ready to be grilled, take the remaining potato flour/ tapioca starch in a plate.
- Roll the patties in the flour and dust off the excess.
- Heat a grill pan/ flat pan on medium flame. Once heated keep the patties and drizzle oil on the sides.
- Turn the patties in about 4-5 minutes to evenly cook each side till crisp and brownish on the outside.
Middle Eastern style Lentil Patties are ready to be eaten. I am sure you would not be able to wait once they are ready. Your kitchen will be be permeating with the aroma of fragrant spices. Serve them on a bed of rice with a side of whisked yogurt and salad topped with some chilli flakes.
Recipe, styling and photography by Sharvari P Mehan.
Do let me know how you like this recipe with your feedback in the comments below. Have a great week ahead.