Last week I was down with the viral and was home super annoyed at twiddling my thumbs because I just cannot sit at one place doing nothing for long. On the 4th day I was determined to push myself and decided to head to the kitchen to whip up a dish that I have been craving to eat for a while.
The first time I ate Cornbread was about 10 years back in restaurant called New Yorkers in South Mumbai. Cornbread has its origins in USA and is widely entrenched in Mexican and Texan cuisine as well. There are various ways to make Cornbread using either ground corn, cornmeal or maize flour.
I wanted to make this bread absolutely gluten-free. So I have used Polenta (Roughly ground corn) and some gluten free self raising flour as the base for the bread mix. However feel free to use regular self raising flour or maida as a substitute. This is a savoury bread and I have used both fresh birds eye chilli and chilli flakes.
So here is my recipe for Chilli Cornbread (Gluten-free Goodness).
The ingredients needed are: (All the cup sizes are standard measuring cup sizes)
- Polenta – 1.5 cups
- Gluten free Self raising flour / Maida – 80 gms
- Baking Powder-1.5 teaspoons
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Sugar- 1 teaspoon
- Egg- 1 in number
- Milk- 1.5 cup
- Vegetable Oil/ Olive Oil- 5 tablespoons
- Birds Eye Chilli- 1
- Chilli flakes – 1.5 teaspoon
- Onion- 3 tablespoon finely chopped
- Dried basil- 1.5 teaspoon
- Cheddar Cheese – 35 gms
- Butter – 1/2 teaspoon to line the loaf pan
Method of Preparation:
- Take a mixing bowl and add the polenta, gluten-free self raising flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and mix to combine together.
- Next take another bowl and add milk, oil and crack the egg in the same bowl and mix them together.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk and egg mix into the dry ingredients. Mix well to ensure there are no lumps formed.
- Next add finely chopped birds eye chilli, onion, chilli flakes and dried basil and crumble cheese and mix once more.
- Preheat the oven to 200 Degrees C for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile apply some butter into a Loaf Pan / Cake tin and add the cornbread mixture into it and flatten it with a spatula.
- Bake this for about 20- 25 minutes untill a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Once it has cooled, turn the cornbread upside down and slice or cut into wedges. This is your Chilli Cornbread (Gluten-free Goodness) ready !!
Chilli Cornbread can be eaten by itself or with some cream cheese or chutney. A Perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea and an easy breakfast with some scrambled eggs. So what are you waiting for get baking !!!
Recipe, Food styling and Photography – Sharvari P Mehan
Thank you for all your love and support. Love to hear from you so do leave your feedback in the comments below. Have a great week ahead.