Eggs are one of my most favourite breakfast options. Not only are they easy and quick to cook with but are super versatile. Poach them, fry them, boil them or make them into a curry they are absolutely delicious. Eggs are highly nutritious and are a powerhouse of vitamins B 12, D and A and high in protein.
A few years back I had Shakshuka in a local cafe with a friend of mine. A Shakshuka is of Morrocan/ Egyptian or Libyan origin. It hit all the right notes in my mouth for my taste buds were in heaven. What is not to love about eggs poached in a chunky tomato sauce base with a gooey yolky centre that can be scooped with bread. Aah sheer love !!
Today’s recipe is my take on the Shakshuka with Spinach and Red Bell Pepper with loads of Hungarian Paprika.
The Ingredients needed are :
- Eggs – 4 in number
- Diced Tomato can – 1
- Paprika – 2 teaspoon
- Chilli Infused Olive Oil/ Olive oil- 2 tablespoon
- Dried Basil – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander – A few Sprigs
- Red Bell Pepper- 1- finely chopped
- Baby Spinach – 250 gms
- Red chillies – 2- finely chopped
- Garlic Pods – 4 – finely chopped
- Onion – 1/2 – finely chopped
- Cumin Powder- 2 teaspoon
- Sugar -1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- You need a thick bottomed pan or a cast iron skillet so the eggs cook evenly. Keep the pan on medium heat and add the olive oil. I have used a chilli infused olive oil but you can use any oil here. Once it heats add the finely chopped garlic and onion and stir fry till it turns pink.
- Next add the red bell pepper and stir fry for 5-7 minutes till it is cooked. Then add finely chopped baby spinach leaves and let it wilt for about a minute. Next add salt, sugar and paprika and dried basil leaves and cumin powder and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now add the diced tomato can and mix well and let it cook till sauce gets pulpy and starts leaving a bit of oil from the sides.
Next break open the eggs over the tomato sauce mixture and cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes if you like the egg yolks gooey. If you want them cooked then cook this for 5 more minutes.
Your Shakshuka with Spinach and Red Bell Pepper with loads of Hungarian Paprika is now ready.
Serve this with crusty bread to scoop up the tomato and egg goodness.
Recipe and Food styling – Sharvari P Mehan
Photography- Ankit Mehan
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe as much as my husband and I do. Definitely leave your feedback in the comments below.
Have a fantastic weekend ahead.