Spring sun was glistening through our Window panes warming up the house and bringing in a glow of happiness on our faces. We have had three days of sun over the weekend. Nothing special if you live in the tropical countries but when you live in Melbourne and been through long stretched out period of winters the sun feels like Manna from heaven.
Alas when I realised that we had no eggs left in the fridge and our sunny breakfast dreams seemed to come crashing down. A few minutes of silence was observed after this realisation. Suddenly I realised I had a can of sweet corn in the pantry. Voilà I just knew I would be making Corn Fritters and pair them with a ripe avocado and sour cream concoction and buttery tarragon mushrooms.
So here is my recipe for Corn Fritters with Avocado Cream and a side of Buttery Tarragon Mushrooms.
This is an egg-less, vegetarian and gluten free recipe. Feel free to add 2 egg whites to the same as well. Similarly you can omit the red chillies if making it for kids and add white pepper instead or reduce the amount of chilli.
Ingredients needed are :
- Corn kernels- 350 gms (1 can)
- Gluten free self raising flour/ maida – 250 gms
- Mozzarella Cheese – 50 gms grated
- Onion- 1 small finely chopped/ 3 tablespoon chopped
- Red Birds Eye Chilli – 2
- Coriander – 50 gms finely chopped
- Milk- 200 gms
- Water – Optional if needed to thin the batter
- Salt to taste
- Avocado – 1 ripened
- Sour Cream – 3 tablespoon
- Mint leaves- 7-8 leaves finely chopped
- Eno fruit salt- 1.5 teaspoon
- Olive Oil- 3-4 tablespoons for pan frying
- Brown Mushrooms – 200 gms sliced
- Dried Tarragon herb – 1 teaspoon
- Butter- 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder- 1 teaspoon
- Pepper Powder- A Pinch
Method of Preparation:
- If using fresh kernels steam them until al-dente. If using canned corn kernels simply drain them and wash them. Take a mixing bowl add the GF Self raising flour or maida (whichever you are using).
- Next finely chop the onion add that to the mixing bowl. Next add the coriander, salt to taste, chillies and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Lastly grate the mozzarella cheese and add that to the mix. Mix it well. Add the Eno fruit Salt to this mix. Now slowly add the milk while mixing it to avoid any lumps from forming. If you think you need to add water to thin the mixture than do so a few drops at a time. I have not added any water to the mixture.
- The final mix will be thick and will have a dropping consistency. Keep it aside for about 5-10 minutes to let the Eno Fruit salt work its magic.
- Cut open the Avocado and remove the seed. Next scoop out the flesh and finely mash the same with the back of the spoon.
- Finely chop mint leaves and add it to the avocado mash. Lastly add salt and the sour cream. Mix well till the Avocado cream is creamy and smooth. This is your Avocado Cream ready.
- Now take a deep pan and add the butter and let it melt. Next add the 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and salt and pepper powder and mix well.
- Add the sliced button mushrooms and mix well on a high flame. They should cook in less than a minute. Next add the dried tarragon and mix well.
- Your Buttery Tarragon Mushrooms are ready to be served.
- In the same pan add a few drops of oil and once heated add a tablespoon of the corn mixture and spread into a disc shape.
- Let it cook well on one side before you flip it over and cook the other side.
- Cook the rest of the batter in the same way. This made me 12 fritters which is enough to serve 3-4 adults.
- Your Corn Fritters are ready to be gobbled.
Serve the Corn Fritters hot with a side of cool Avocado cream and warm Buttery Tarragon Mushrooms. Absolutely perfect for the transitional weather. Perfect for breakfast or brunch and equally enjoyed by kids and adults.
What are you waiting for get the Fritter Freak On !!
Recipe and Styling and Photography – Sharvari P Mehan
Have a Fantastic week ahead and do not forget to leave your feedback in the comments below.