Happy Holi to all the readers of Mumbai to Melbourne !!
No Indian Festival celebration is complete without sweets, mithai and desserts. Holi is essentially a celebration of the Victory of Good over Evil. Rang Panchami or Dhooli Vandan follows the next day where people colour each other in different colours such as pink, green or blue. There is a sense of fun, excitement and enjoyment on this day where the entire family from the youngest to the oldest member enjoys together.
This is followed by glasses of Thandai ( milk and dry fruit based drink) and delicacies like gujiya, puranpoli or kheer are enjoyed as part of the meal that follows.
This year since Mum and Dad are here the Holi celebrations are a tad bit special with the yummy goodness of Saffron Rice Kheerthat is being made. I have stated earlier that the youth in India tend to find Indian Desserts hard and complicated and time consuming to make however Mumbai to Melbourne endeavours to make Indian Desserts simple and yet keeping the taste quotient high.
So here is an easy and delicious absolutely time saving recipe for Saffron Rice Kheer or Keshar and Tandla chi Kheer.
Ingredients needed are:
- Basmati / long grain rice – 1 measuring cup (250 gms)
- Sago / Sabudana – 3 teaspoon
- Full Cream Milk- 1 litre
- Sugar- 1.25- 1.5 measuring cup (as per preference)
- Saffron Strands – 5-6 in no
- Almonds- 15 in number
- Powdered Nuts- 1 tablespoon (any nuts of choice powdered)
- Cardamon powder- 2 teaspoon
- Raisins – 2 teaspoon (optional)
- Pistachio- for garnish (optional)
- Water – enough for Pressure cooking rice
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the Sago Seeds/ Sabudana in warm water for 6 hours to overnight. Soak the rice separately for 2 hours. Soak the almonds for a couple of hours and then take the skin off and chop them lengthwise.
- Pressure cook the rice with 3 times the water and cook for 4 whistles in pressure cooker.
- Once the rice is cooked take a wok, add the cooked rice, 50 ml water and soaked Sabudana and mix well. Cook this for about 10 minutes till Sabudana are cooked. Now add 1 teaspoon salt. Mix it well.
- In the meanwhile boil milk in a separate Saucepan. Now add 3/4th of this milk to the cooked rice and Sabudana mixture. Let the rice and Sabudana soften further in the milk. This should approximately take 10- 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar to this cooked mixture and let it melt. Give it a good stir. Now take two teaspoons of milk mix saffron strands and cardamom powder in it. Then add this to the Rice and Sabudana mixture as well.
- Next add 1/4th of the remaining milk to the rice mixture and let it reach a boil. Add the chopped almonds, raisins if using and powdered nuts and switch of the flame.
- The Saffron Rice Kheer or Keshar and Tandla Chi Kheer is now ready. If you like eating it warm serve it straight away. We love our Kheer cold so you can refrigerate it for a few hours and enjoy it as a cool dessert.
Serve the Saffron Rice Kheer with some more powdered nuts and chopped pistachio. Enjoy it with family and friends. I am sure this Holi your family and guests/ friends will be left licking their bowls asking for more.
Definitely leave me your feedback in the comments below. Have a Happy Holi and use only natural colours and play a dry Holi to save water. Until next time have a fantastic week ahead.