Yard long beans or Snake beans or simply Long beans are a highly underrated vegetable. They are extremely versatile both as a side dish to a steak or in a warm salad and equally perfect as a main vegetarian dish.
I remember while I was in secondary school I would accompany my Grandma (Aai) and my sister Ashwini to the local vegetable vendors (bhajiwala). I was always in awe of my Grandma and her ability to turn anything into a gourmet meal. Not only is she extremely particular about the quality of vegetables and fruits she shops but she also likes to shop them at the best price possible. So haggling with the vegetable vendor was a must and that was where I learnt the art of picking the perfect veggies and fruits.
I was one kid who always ate her veggies in fact I loved veggies even the ones most people would cringe eating. Long beans was one veggie that fascinated me because of its length and texture. Whenever we shopped Long beans Aai would make us kids peel some to reveal the seeds inside while she would chop up the rest.
Childhood is such a fun time that never comes back, alas memories stay forever entrenched in your soul.
Today’s recipe for Long Beans and Potato Stir Fry /Long Beans Ani Batata Bhaji will truly warm your soul and touch your heart.
Ingredients needed are:
- Long Beans – 300 gms
- Potato – 1 cubed
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- A pinch
- Coconut- 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies- 3 slit vertically
- Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar- 1 teaspoon
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
Method Of Preparation:
- Chop about 250 gms of yard long beans and the remaining beans can be peeled to get it’s young green seed. Discard the peels once de-seeded.
- Take a wok add oil and once it heats add turmeric and asafoetida. Stir with a spoon and next add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Now add slit green chillies to the wok and mix well.
- Next add the green seed and the chopped long beans to the wok along with the cubed Potato. Cover the wok with a deep steel dish. Add 3/4th cup of water on top of the dish and reduce the flame to low. This helps to create steam and that imparts a unique taste and texture to beans as they cook in their own juices.
- In about 7-10 minutes the beans should be tender. Next add sugar, salt and shredded coconut and mix well. In about a minute switch of the flame.
- Yard Long Beans and Potato Stir Fry/ Long Beans Ani Batata Bhaji is now ready.
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe which is perfect for Meatless Monday. Do leave me your feedback in the comments below. Until next time have a fantastic food filled and healthy week ahead.
Recipe, Styling and Photography- Sharvari P Mehan